Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2002; cell format confuses Custom and Special

This is a weird one. I manipulate date received from vendors, and I've seen
my share of kinks, but this has never happened before. A worksheet has a
column of Tax ID numbers, and the format of all the cells is "General"; my
routine is to find and destroy all dashes, and then format the cells to
"Custom" (000000000.) That will provide the preceding zeroes that are
frequently lost in handling, and I find that the display and export of the
data works for my purposes. But this time, when I select all the cells
(whether I select the column or just the cells) and format Custom, the
entries that need preceding zeroes do not get them; and when I call the
format dialog again, it shows the format as "Special", language Portuguese,
type Numero da Seguranca Social. The sheet is not protected, and I can find
no conditional formatting. Does anyone have an idea where this is coming
from? Thanks--
--
TeeArr
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like the "numbers" are text which cannot be formatted for leading zeros.

Format all the General then copy an empty cell.

Select the "numbers" and EditPaste Special(in place)AddOKEsc.

Now try the leading zero formatting.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:21:00 -0700, TeeArr
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, Gord; that did the trick for entering the preceding zeroes (I use
multiply, with a cell containing "1", for dates that need to be checked; this
appears to do the same thing.)
But that darn "Special" format still shows up after I've formatted the cells
to "Custom"; it doesn't appear to hurt anything, but it makes me nuts that I
can't figure where it's coming from.
Peace--
TeeArr