Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default When I make a row absolute, but column relative, the column stays.

I am trying to copy a formula using the fill option. When i set the column
in the range to relative and the row to absolute, the columns and rows in the
range saty the same. I thought that the dollar sign was supposed to allow
the range to change in sequential order
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The contrary: the $ sign hold that item constant
SO dragging cell J1 down the column when it has =$A$1 will produce =$A$1 in
all cells.
If J1 has =$A1 and you drag it down you get $A2, $a3.....
But dragging sideways leaves $A1 in all cells
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"tonefbr" wrote in message
I am trying to copy a formula using the fill option. When i set the column
in the range to relative and the row to absolute, the columns and rows in
the
range saty the same. I thought that the dollar sign was supposed to allow
the range to change in sequential order

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The $ in front of the row means the row won't adjust.
The $ in front of the column means the column won't adjust.

You may want to share the formula (and the cell that it's in).
And the range that you're filling.

tonefbr wrote:

I am trying to copy a formula using the fill option. When i set the column
in the range to relative and the row to absolute, the columns and rows in the
range saty the same. I thought that the dollar sign was supposed to allow
the range to change in sequential order

--

Dave Peterson