-   -   Line breaks in my cells... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/160602-line-breaks-my-cells.html)

AkelA

Line breaks in my cells...

Hello!

I received an excel worksheet that contains "line break" characters in some
of the cells and they cause me a lot of trouble. How do I eliminate them? I
tried "Find and Replace..." but I cannot search for these tricky little
*******s. The table contains over 6000 records, so I may not want to go
cell-by-cell manually. Can you please help?

Thx, brgd!

David Biddulph[_2_]

Line breaks in my cells...

If it is Alt-Enter [CHAR(10)] that you are trying to replace, type Control-J
into the Replace: "Find what" box.
--
David Biddulph

"AkelA" wrote in message
Hello!

I received an excel worksheet that contains "line break" characters in
some
of the cells and they cause me a lot of trouble. How do I eliminate them?
tried "Find and Replace..." but I cannot search for these tricky little
*******s. The table contains over 6000 records, so I may not want to go
cell-by-cell manually. Can you please help?

Thx, brgd!

AkelA

Line breaks in my cells...

Do you mean "^j"? I have a non-English version and Ctrl+J does not do
anything... For "^J" Excel returned no results.

Anyway, I managed to solve my problem with a little trick, but still I would
like to know. For future problems like this..... Btw, where can I find
reference for these special characters?

"AkelA" wrote in message
Hello!

I received an excel worksheet that contains "line break" characters in
some
of the cells and they cause me a lot of trouble. How do I eliminate them?
tried "Find and Replace..." but I cannot search for these tricky little
*******s. The table contains over 6000 records, so I may not want to go
cell-by-cell manually. Can you please help?

Thx, brgd!

Gord Dibben

Line breaks in my cells...

Try Alt + 0010 in the Find what dialog.

Use the NumPad to enter the 0010

To see which characters you have in a cell, download Chip Pearson's CellView
add-in.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP