-   -   how do i split a cell that contains dd/mm/yy into a 3 separate cel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/160496-how-do-i-split-cell-contains-dd-mm-yy-into-3-separate-cel.html)

Eva

how do i split a cell that contains dd/mm/yy into a 3 separate cel

I have a column that contains a list of paid invoices and the payment date is
showing as dd/mm/yy. I need to do a pivot by month. How do I change my cell
from the current format so the month is shown in one cell and the year in the
next cell?

Kevin B

how do i split a cell that contains dd/mm/yy into a 3 separate cel

This extracts the year from a date
=YEAR(DateValue)

This extracts the month from a date

=MONTH(DateValue)

And just in case, this extract the day

=DAY(DateValue)
--
Kevin Backmann

"Eva" wrote:

I have a column that contains a list of paid invoices and the payment date is
showing as dd/mm/yy. I need to do a pivot by month. How do I change my cell
from the current format so the month is shown in one cell and the year in the
next cell?

Ron Coderre

how do i split a cell that contains dd/mm/yy into a 3 separate cel

Start by building your Pivot Table using the DATE field.

Then, assuming the DATE is a ROW field in the Pivot Table
Right-Click on the DATE field....Select: Group and Show Detail.....Group
Click on Months....Click on Years....Click [OK]

That will display those 2 fields, instead of the dates.

Is that something you can work with?

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)