-   -   Format cell for negative (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/16047-format-cell-negative.html)

es

Format cell for negative

Hi
I want the value that i type into a cell always to be
negative

thanks

Springbok

Hi,

You need to adjust the format of the cell - this one for instance: -*
#,##0_-;-* #,##0_-;_-* "-"_-;_-@_-

Notice that the format starts with "-".

Go to Format-Cells-Number and paste this format in the custom part.

Cheers,
Jon

"es" wrote:

Hi
I want the value that i type into a cell always to be
negative

thanks

Jim May

Is there a specific Cell or range of cells on your worksheet that you want
this?
Or any and all cells on any Worksheet?

"es" wrote in message
Hi
I want the value that i type into a cell always to be
negative

thanks

Jim May

In either case:

'Compliments of
'Ron Rosenfeld Apr 8 2003, 4:28 am
Application.EnableEvents = False
Dim c As Range, aoi As Range
Set aoi = [A1:D10] 'range to make all negative numbers
For Each c In aoi
If Len(c.Text) 0 Then 'Is anything there?
If Not Left(c.Formula, 1) = "=" Then 'ignore if a formula
If IsNumeric(c.Value) Then 'make sure it's a number
c.Value = -Abs(c.Value)
Next c
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub