-   -   Data lost in merge from Excel to Word (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/159913-data-lost-merge-excel-word.html)

Dordty Dave

Data lost in merge from Excel to Word

I'm trying to merge data from Excel to Mail Merge in Word, and some of my
data is getting lost--when I insert it into Word, it just shows up as a zero.
I've resaved the data file, refreshed it, closed it, moved the data to a
different column--none of this works. Some columns show up fine in the merge;
others simply turn to zeros. Any help?

Peo Sjoblom

Data lost in merge from Excel to Word

Post this in a Word newsgroup, it's not really an Excel question.

Peo Sjoblom

"Dordty Dave" <Dordty wrote in message
I'm trying to merge data from Excel to Mail Merge in Word, and some of my
data is getting lost--when I insert it into Word, it just shows up as a
zero.
I've resaved the data file, refreshed it, closed it, moved the data to a
different column--none of this works. Some columns show up fine in the
merge;
others simply turn to zeros. Any help?

Technoteacher

Data lost in merge from Excel to Word

But it FEELS like an Excel issue, doesn't it? I've had problems with the
zeros, too, and found your situation oddly comforting. This morning, I
found the answer, and it saved me HOURS! You actually fix the problem in
Word. Try this:
Open a Word document. Go to Tools. Select Options. Choose the General
tab. Select Confirm Conversion at Open. Click ok.

Open Mail Merge Wizard. Browse and find your Excel document. Confirm Data
Source will come up. Select MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls). Worked
like a charm.