-   -   Excel - Wildcards (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/158226-excel-wildcards.html)

soke2001

Excel - Wildcards

All, everyday at work I pull a spreadsheet with over 1000 orders that
are worked by me and 2 other ppl. I have a column on the spreadsheet
that lists the order numbers (7 numerical characters). The three ppl
in my department divide the orders based on the last 2 digits of the
orders; 1st person = 00-33, 2nd person 34-66... etc. My questions is:

What is the easiest way to automate filtering only my orders and
copying them into a new file? I tried the Auto-Filter mode and tried
using wildcards (* and ?) to replaced the first 5 numerical characters
of the order, but nothing happened. Please assist. I'm using Excel
2003.

Thanks!

Javier Cortes

Tim

Excel - Wildcards

Use Advanced Filter instead Auto Filter. To filter orders with 00-33 use
*00-33*

tim

"soke2001" wrote:

All, everyday at work I pull a spreadsheet with over 1000 orders that
are worked by me and 2 other ppl. I have a column on the spreadsheet
that lists the order numbers (7 numerical characters). The three ppl
in my department divide the orders based on the last 2 digits of the
orders; 1st person = 00-33, 2nd person 34-66... etc. My questions is:

What is the easiest way to automate filtering only my orders and
copying them into a new file? I tried the Auto-Filter mode and tried
using wildcards (* and ?) to replaced the first 5 numerical characters
of the order, but nothing happened. Please assist. I'm using Excel
2003.

Thanks!

Javier Cortes

Tim

Excel - Wildcards

For more details about using the Advanced Filter go to this address:

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

and download the example workbook.

Peo Sjoblom

Excel - Wildcards

If you use a help column with formulas extracting everything but the first 5
characters you could use autofilter and maybe also under custom begins with
or end with

help formula to remove the first 5 characters

=MID(A2,6,255)

copy down

then you can filter on the help column

Peo Sjoblom