Beachcomber

Default How can I see column headings of hidden columns in Excel before u.

I have a large spreadsheet with several columns hidden. I want to unhide a
specific column that I know has a column name of Project Owner. How can I
determine which column to unhide to see the desired column without unhiding
all of the columns? I tried the find feature, but that did not help.
Don Guillett

assuming you have your name in row 1 of the column, you could use MATCH or
in vba you could use FIND
Sub findcol()
Columns(Rows(1).Find("yournamehere").Column).Hidde n = False
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Beachcomber" wrote in message
I have a large spreadsheet with several columns hidden. I want to unhide

specific column that I know has a column name of Project Owner. How can I
determine which column to unhide to see the desired column without

unhiding
all of the columns? I tried the find feature, but that did not help.

Beachcomber

Your answer looks like it will work, but I have to admit I don't know what to
enter to use the MATCH function. I placed my cursor in a blank cell and
typed =MATCH (Project Owner). I received an error message of #Name?

Thanks for your reply.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

assuming you have your name in row 1 of the column, you could use MATCH or
in vba you could use FIND
Sub findcol()
Columns(Rows(1).Find("yournamehere").Column).Hidde n = False
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Beachcomber" wrote in message
I have a large spreadsheet with several columns hidden. I want to unhide

specific column that I know has a column name of Project Owner. How can I
determine which column to unhide to see the desired column without

unhiding
all of the columns? I tried the find feature, but that did not help.

Dave Peterson

Maybe you could use a helper worksheet.

=sheet1!a1
and drag across
or
=if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1)
if you don't want to see 0's when the cell is empty.

If you kind of know what column it should be in, you can still select the cell
by:

Edit|goto, then typing the address (D1) and hitting enter. You'll be able to
see the value/formula in the cell in the formula bar. (You could also just type
the address directly into the namebox--to the left of the formula bar and hit
enter.)

(But Unhiding, looking, and ctrl-z (or edit|undo) isn't really too bad, either.)

--

Dave Peterson
Dave Peterson

One more...