-   -   How do I convert dates stored as dates to text? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/157446-how-do-i-convert-dates-stored-dates-text.html)

diamunds

How do I convert dates stored as dates to text?

So basically... I have some dates stored as dates in Excel that I want to
convert to text without getting wacky numbers (i.e. I still want them to
display as the date, just categorized as text) any ideas?

Peo Sjoblom

How do I convert dates stored as dates to text?

=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yy")

replace the date format (US in my example) to whatever date format you are
using

Peo Sjoblom

"diamunds" wrote in message
So basically... I have some dates stored as dates in Excel that I want to
convert to text without getting wacky numbers (i.e. I still want them to
display as the date, just categorized as text) any ideas?

Bernard Liengme

How do I convert dates stored as dates to text?

How about some examples?
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"diamunds" wrote in message
So basically... I have some dates stored as dates in Excel that I want to
convert to text without getting wacky numbers (i.e. I still want them to
display as the date, just categorized as text) any ideas?

Kevin B

How do I convert dates stored as dates to text?

Use the following formula, changing the cell address and date format

=TEXT(A1,"dddd, mmmm d, yyyy")

A1 is the cell with the date
"dddd, mmmm d, yyyy" is the format mask that would produce Friday, September
7, 2007
--
Kevin Backmann

"diamunds" wrote:

So basically... I have some dates stored as dates in Excel that I want to
convert to text without getting wacky numbers (i.e. I still want them to
display as the date, just categorized as text) any ideas?

RayportingMonkey

How do I convert dates stored as dates to text?

=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy")

Assuming you have a date in A1
You can then CopyPasteSpecialValue if you need to remove the formula...

"diamunds" wrote:

So basically... I have some dates stored as dates in Excel that I want to
convert to text without getting wacky numbers (i.e. I still want them to
display as the date, just categorized as text) any ideas?

Lori

How do I convert dates stored as dates to text?

(In xl2000+) try copy and pasting the date range as formatted text:

1. Press Ctrl+C twice, format number as text and click the paste icon.
2. Then undo and paste special as text [only for small ranges <2k].