Steve H

Default Opening downloaded IE files in Excel

Hi,

I am trying to force a downloaded xls file from Internet Explorer to open in
Excel 2003 directly, instead of in a browser window. This seemed to work in
Excel 2000, but now does not.

Any suggestions?
Dave Peterson

maybe...

How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office
Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=162059

--

Dave Peterson
PK Trainer

This works for my PC, but what if I want to put something out on our company
Intranet. Is there any HTML coding that can force documents to open in the
appropriate office program instead of in an Internet Explorer browser window?

Steve H wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to force a downloaded xls file from Internet Explorer to open in
Excel 2003 directly, instead of in a browser window. This seemed to work in
Excel 2000, but now does not.

Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Heck if I know.

If you don't get an answer here, you can take your question down the hall to the
internet.explorer newsgroups.

Steve H wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to force a downloaded xls file from Internet Explorer to open in
Excel 2003 directly, instead of in a browser window. This seemed to work in
Excel 2000, but now does not.

Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
foxcole

The problem I see with that suggested article is that it applies up to Excel
2002, but does not list 2003, so I'd be reluctant to try the registry edit...
but I'm edgy about doing anything with registries. From what I've been able
to find, Office 2003 handles linked files differently than all the past
versions -- so I'm not convinced this article has our answer.

I know the first method suggested in the article doesn't apply to IE 6.0, or
if it does, needs to be more specific about where to find the option it says
needs to be set (or what that option is). There is no such thing, that we can
find.

Has anyone actually tried either of the suggestions in the article, I
wonder? Did it work?
--
FoxCole

"Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing."

Robert Benchley (about his response to someone who said at a dinner party,
"Say something funny, Mr. Benchley.")