-   -   How to add formula calling up current workbook when sheet copied (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/157256-how-add-formula-calling-up-current-workbook-when-sheet-copied.html)

Smudge

How to add formula calling up current workbook when sheet copied

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make life easier for me by putting the following into a cell
="Number of Units " & '[Depot 1.xls]dumpers'!H1

This should let me copy this worksheet into a number of workbooks and pick
up the depot number from cell H1 in an existing sheet in each workbook.

How do I do this and make excel look for h1 in the book I'm copying into?

TIA

--
Smudge

Dave Peterson

How to add formula calling up current workbook when sheet copied

You wouldn't need the workbook name [depot 1.xls] in the formula.

I'd use:
$$$$$="Number of Units " & 'dumpers'!h1

Yep, it's text--not a formula.
Copy and paste into the new workbook.
then remove the $$$$$ to change it into a formula.

Or you could copy the formula:
="Number of Units " & 'dumpers'!h1
from the formulabar and paste it into the formulabar.

Smudge wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make life easier for me by putting the following into a cell
="Number of Units " & '[Depot 1.xls]dumpers'!H1

This should let me copy this worksheet into a number of workbooks and pick
up the depot number from cell H1 in an existing sheet in each workbook.

How do I do this and make excel look for h1 in the book I'm copying into?

TIA

--
Smudge

--

Dave Peterson

Smudge

How to add formula calling up current workbook when sheet copi

Hi Dave,

So there's no magic way of it doing this without amending the cell each time
I copy over? :-(
--
Smudge

Smudge wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make life easier for me by putting the following into a cell
="Number of Units " & '[Depot 1.xls]dumpers'!H1

This should let me copy this worksheet into a number of workbooks and pick
up the depot number from cell H1 in an existing sheet in each workbook.

How do I do this and make excel look for h1 in the book I'm copying into?

TIA

--
Smudge

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

How to add formula calling up current workbook when sheet copi

The second suggestion seems pretty easy.

Smudge wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make life easier for me by putting the following into a cell
="Number of Units " & '[Depot 1.xls]dumpers'!H1

This should let me copy this worksheet into a number of workbooks and pick
up the depot number from cell H1 in an existing sheet in each workbook.

How do I do this and make excel look for h1 in the book I'm copying into?

TIA

--
Smudge

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Smudge

How to add formula calling up current workbook when sheet copi

Hi Dave,

Didn't mean to sound ungrateful ! I'm using 2nd option between messages :-)
but imagined that there was an automatic way of doing it that I was missing -
learning all the time.

Mant thanks again
--
Smudge

Smudge wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make life easier for me by putting the following into a cell
="Number of Units " & '[Depot 1.xls]dumpers'!H1

This should let me copy this worksheet into a number of workbooks and pick
up the depot number from cell H1 in an existing sheet in each workbook.

How do I do this and make excel look for h1 in the book I'm copying into?

TIA

--
Smudge

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

How to add formula calling up current workbook when sheet copi

Maybe you could use some sort of macro that would make it more automatic.

Smudge wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make life easier for me by putting the following into a cell
="Number of Units " & '[Depot 1.xls]dumpers'!H1

This should let me copy this worksheet into a number of workbooks and pick
up the depot number from cell H1 in an existing sheet in each workbook.

How do I do this and make excel look for h1 in the book I'm copying into?

TIA

--
Smudge

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Smudge

How to add formula calling up current workbook when sheet copi

Thanks Dave

Will give it a go

--
Smudge