-   -   Matching data from one worksheet to another. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/157211-matching-data-one-worksheet-another.html)

Jeffa

Matching data from one worksheet to another.

Hello,

I have a 2 worksheets.. one has in it a list of asset numbers
The other has all the asset numbers, descriptions etc of the assets.
I want to be able to have a formula in colunm B that looks up the asset
number in colunm A but in the other worksheet, and then reports on what the
description is.

I thought this would work but it didnt..
=lookup(A2,OVSDDUMP!A:B)

I was hoping that would look up the A2 asset number and the A colunm of the
OVSDDUMP sheet and report back what is in the B colunm of that row.

Any help here would be appriciated.

Regards,

Jeffrey

[email protected]

Matching data from one worksheet to another.

Dear Jeffa,

try this:

=Vlookup(A2,OVSDDUMP!A:B,2,false)

HTH

"Jeffa" wrote:

Hello,

I have a 2 worksheets.. one has in it a list of asset numbers
The other has all the asset numbers, descriptions etc of the assets.
I want to be able to have a formula in colunm B that looks up the asset
number in colunm A but in the other worksheet, and then reports on what the
description is.

I thought this would work but it didnt..
=lookup(A2,OVSDDUMP!A:B)

I was hoping that would look up the A2 asset number and the A colunm of the
OVSDDUMP sheet and report back what is in the B colunm of that row.

Any help here would be appriciated.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Jeffa

Matching data from one worksheet to another.

Thanks, worked a treat, I knew it would be something simple like that, but
the help files don't give me enough of an example :(

"Jeffa" wrote:

Hello,

I have a 2 worksheets.. one has in it a list of asset numbers
The other has all the asset numbers, descriptions etc of the assets.
I want to be able to have a formula in colunm B that looks up the asset
number in colunm A but in the other worksheet, and then reports on what the
description is.

I thought this would work but it didnt..
=lookup(A2,OVSDDUMP!A:B)

I was hoping that would look up the A2 asset number and the A colunm of the
OVSDDUMP sheet and report back what is in the B colunm of that row.

Any help here would be appriciated.

Regards,

Jeffrey

[email protected]

Matching data from one worksheet to another.

Dear Jeffrey,

Glad I can help.
Remember! Vlookup syntax is divided into 4 parts.