-   -   Easy Problem that I can't figure out (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/156770-easy-problem-i-cant-figure-out.html)

Cory from Eugene[_2_]

Easy Problem that I can't figure out

I just want to search a row for a certain value, and then return the column
number that the value is in. Easy right? but I cant figure it out.

Someone help me.

Thanks,
Cory

Max

Easy Problem that I can't figure out

Example, in B2: =MATCH(A2,$1:$1,0)
where A2 houses the value to be matched within row1

B2 will return the col "number".
Eg if A2's value is found/matched in C1, B2 will return: 3 (col #3)
--
Max
Singapore
"Cory from Eugene" wrote:
I just want to search a row for a certain value, and then return the column
number that the value is in. Easy right? but I cant figure it out.

Someone help me.

Thanks,
Cory

T. Valko

Easy Problem that I can't figure out

Do you want the relative column number or the absolute column number?

Assume you have this data in E1:J1

10, 96, 21, 47, 99, 35

You want to lookup the column number for the number 10.

For the relative column number:

A1 = 10

=MATCH(A1,E1:J1,0)

Returns 1