-   -   Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/15547-cant-group-dates-excel-2003-pivot-table.html)

barbara1234

Can't group by dates in Excel 2003 pivot table

I do not get a Group By dialog box when I select Group. It adds a group name,
but puts everything in one big group.

Debra Dalgleish

If there are text entries, or blank cells in the date column, you won't
be able to group the field. If that's the problem, perhaps you could
delete any text, and add a "dummy" date to records with no date.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

barbara1234

Thanks Debra. I'll have to clean up the data.

"barbara1234" wrote:

I do not get a Group By dialog box when I select Group. It adds a group name,
but puts everything in one big group.

Minh Le

Hi Debra,

I have the same problem - can't group dates (into by month, quarter, or
year). I have reformatd the date column (cells) in date format. Any other
suggestion pls

Minh Le

barbara1234 wrote:
I do not get a Group By dialog box when I select Group. It adds a group name,
but puts everything in one big group.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Dalgleish

Are there any blank cells in the data column of the source data?
Did you include blank rows at the end of the pivot table?

barbara1234 wrote:

I do not get a Group By dialog box when I select Group. It adds a group name,
but puts everything in one big group.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Minh Le

Hi Deb,

Source data is from Excel sheet, there is no blank cells in that column of
the data table (note the data table did not fill the whole sheet); and I did
not select blank row in pivot table.

Thanks for your help

Minh Le