-   -   Extract alpha from a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/154517-extract-alpha-cell.html)

Secret Squirrel

Extract alpha from a cell

If I have a cell that contains numeric & alpha data how do I extract just the
alpha part? All my data begins with the letter "F". How can I pull just the
"F" out of the cell?

Example:

F00143

Not all the cells have the same number of characters in it. They might have
5 numbers after it, or 4, or 3. I just want to extract the beginning
character since it's the alpha portion.

David Biddulph[_2_]

Extract alpha from a cell

.... or just =LEFT(A1), as it defaults to one character.
--
David Biddulph

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message
=LEFT(A1,1)