-   -   How do I change Excel columns from alphabetical to numeric? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/154176-how-do-i-change-excel-columns-alphabetical-numeric.html)

duke1957

How do I change Excel columns from alphabetical to numeric?

I have Office 2007 and want to use R1C1 reference not A1. There is a
reference to R1C1 in a Help topic but no mention of how to get to it. I have
old files which I want to remain R1C1 because of the convenience of counting
columns to duplicate. For instance, copying a function in column 6 to ten
additional columns takes it to column 16. Copying it from column E takes it
to column O, not very intuitive.

Elisabeth

How do I change Excel columns from alphabetical to numeric?

Tools -- Options -- General Tab
Check the box for R1C1 reference style
--
Elisabeth

"duke1957" wrote:

I have Office 2007 and want to use R1C1 reference not A1. There is a
reference to R1C1 in a Help topic but no mention of how to get to it. I have
old files which I want to remain R1C1 because of the convenience of counting
columns to duplicate. For instance, copying a function in column 6 to ten
additional columns takes it to column 16. Copying it from column E takes it
to column O, not very intuitive.

Niek Otten

How do I change Excel columns from alphabetical to numeric?

In Excel 2007:
Office button (top left)Excel OptionsFormulas tab, check R1C1 reference style

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Elisabeth" wrote in message ...
| Tools -- Options -- General Tab
| Check the box for R1C1 reference style
| --
| Elisabeth
|

| "duke1957" wrote:
|
| I have Office 2007 and want to use R1C1 reference not A1. There is a
| reference to R1C1 in a Help topic but no mention of how to get to it. I have
| old files which I want to remain R1C1 because of the convenience of counting
| columns to duplicate. For instance, copying a function in column 6 to ten
| additional columns takes it to column 16. Copying it from column E takes it
| to column O, not very intuitive.

David Biddulph[_2_]

How do I change Excel columns from alphabetical to numeric?

It's clear enough in Help:
"To turn R1C1 reference style on or off
Click Options on the Tools menu, and then click the General tab.
Under Settings, select or clear the R1C1 reference style check box."
--
David Biddulph

"duke1957" wrote in message
I have Office 2007 and want to use R1C1 reference not A1. There is a
reference to R1C1 in a Help topic but no mention of how to get to it. I
have
old files which I want to remain R1C1 because of the convenience of
counting
columns to duplicate. For instance, copying a function in column 6 to ten
additional columns takes it to column 16. Copying it from column E takes
it
to column O, not very intuitive.

Gord Dibben

How do I change Excel columns from alphabetical to numeric?

Is that what the 2007 help reads?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:10:59 +0100, "David Biddulph" <groups [at]
biddulph.org.uk wrote:

It's clear enough in Help:
"To turn R1C1 reference style on or off
Click Options on the Tools menu, and then click the General tab.
Under Settings, select or clear the R1C1 reference style check box."

David Biddulph[_2_]

How do I change Excel columns from alphabetical to numeric?

Apologies. I missed the reference to 2007.
--
David Biddulph

biddulph.org.uk wrote:

It's clear enough in Help:
"To turn R1C1 reference style on or off
Click Options on the Tools menu, and then click the General tab.
Under Settings, select or clear the R1C1 reference style check box."

Gord Dibben

How do I change Excel columns from alphabetical to numeric?

Thanks David.

It just looked too much like the help from 2003.

Gord