-   -   how to sum up a range of formulas? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/153928-how-sum-up-range-formulas.html)

Melissa

how to sum up a range of formulas?

I have 3 columns and 3 rows:
A1 B1 C1
A2 B2 C2
A3 B3 C3

In row 4, i have the formula: (A1+A2)*A3 which is applied to columns B and C
Is there a formula which allows me to sum up row 4 without first obtaining
the values by columns A, B and C? i.e. something like:
sum((A1+A2)*A3,(B1+B2)*B3,(C1+C2)*C3)... but I don't want to type it out...
just drag and fill?

T. Valko

how to sum up a range of formulas?

Not sure what you mean by:

but I don't want to type it out... just drag and fill?

sum((A1+A2)*A3,(B1+B2)*B3,(C1+C2)*C3)

This formula does the same thing as the one above:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:C1+A2:C2,A3:C3)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Melissa" wrote in message
I have 3 columns and 3 rows:
A1 B1 C1
A2 B2 C2
A3 B3 C3

In row 4, i have the formula: (A1+A2)*A3 which is applied to columns B and
Is there a formula which allows me to sum up row 4 without first obtaining
the values by columns A, B and C? i.e. something like:
sum((A1+A2)*A3,(B1+B2)*B3,(C1+C2)*C3)... but I don't want to type it
out...
just drag and fill?

Melissa

how to sum up a range of formulas?

My apologies for the unintelligible message and my thanks for your
suggestion.
In reality, my formula is more complex than the one given. What I'm
actually looking for is this: E f(x) (where E is the "sum of" symbol)
So, I need to specify what f(x) is, and apply that across my columns.
Instead of =sum(no.1, no.2, no.3, etc.), I would like =sum(f(x1), f(x2),
f(x3), etc.)

I hope this makes more sense...

Not sure what you mean by:

"Melissa" wrote in message
I have 3 columns and 3 rows:
A1 B1 C1
A2 B2 C2
A3 B3 C3

In row 4, i have the formula: (A1+A2)*A3 which is applied to columns B and
Is there a formula which allows me to sum up row 4 without first obtaining
the values by columns A, B and C? i.e. something like:
sum((A1+A2)*A3,(B1+B2)*B3,(C1+C2)*C3)... but I don't want to type it
out...
just drag and fill?

T. Valko

how to sum up a range of formulas?

Sorry, not following you on this.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Melissa" wrote in message
My apologies for the unintelligible message and my thanks for your
suggestion.
In reality, my formula is more complex than the one given. What I'm
actually looking for is this: E f(x) (where E is the "sum of" symbol)
So, I need to specify what f(x) is, and apply that across my columns.
Instead of =sum(no.1, no.2, no.3, etc.), I would like =sum(f(x1), f(x2),
f(x3), etc.)

I hope this makes more sense...

Not sure what you mean by:

"Melissa" wrote in message
I have 3 columns and 3 rows:
A1 B1 C1
A2 B2 C2
A3 B3 C3

In row 4, i have the formula: (A1+A2)*A3 which is applied to columns B
and
Is there a formula which allows me to sum up row 4 without first
obtaining
the values by columns A, B and C? i.e. something like:
sum((A1+A2)*A3,(B1+B2)*B3,(C1+C2)*C3)... but I don't want to type it
out...
just drag and fill?

Melissa

how to sum up a range of formulas?

I realised I was overcomplicating things and using sumproduct works
perfectly. I just need to be extra careful in defining the ranges in the
formula. Thank you very much for that tip and sorry again for the confusion.

"Melissa" wrote in message
My apologies for the unintelligible message and my thanks for your
suggestion.
In reality, my formula is more complex than the one given. What I'm
actually looking for is this: E f(x) (where E is the "sum of" symbol)
So, I need to specify what f(x) is, and apply that across my columns.
Instead of =sum(no.1, no.2, no.3, etc.), I would like =sum(f(x1), f(x2),
f(x3), etc.)

I hope this makes more sense...

Not sure what you mean by:

"Melissa" wrote in message
My apologies for the unintelligible message and my thanks for your
suggestion.
In reality, my formula is more complex than the one given. What I'm
actually looking for is this: E f(x) (where E is the "sum of" symbol)
So, I need to specify what f(x) is, and apply that across my columns.
Instead of =sum(no.1, no.2, no.3, etc.), I would like =sum(f(x1),
f(x2),
f(x3), etc.)

I hope this makes more sense...

Not sure what you mean by: