I have a spreadsheet that looks like this:

col1 Col2 Col3

bunch of junk
more junk
NUMBER #1234

firstname lastname

This repeats over and over. What I would like to do is populate col3, when
col2 is not null, with the value of the closest previous row that has NUMBER
#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Toppers

tough lookup question

.... and the result from your example would be ..... ??

col1 Col2 Col3

bunch of junk
more junk
NUMBER #1234

firstname lastname 1234

I think this is complicated but here goes:

#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Bonnie

tough lookup question

Yes exactly. But in case I didn't explain it well enough, there are many
columns that have last and first names and I want to fill them all with the
nearest previous NUMBER #999. Do you know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Toppers

tough lookup question

I am sure VBA will be required to do this: I don't have a formula solution
but that doesn't mean there isn't one!

#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Toppers

tough lookup question

I may have a solution but I would like to try it on a good sample of data.
Can you send a w/book to:

toppers <at NOSPAMjohntopley.fsnet.co.uk

Remove NOSPAM

#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Bonnie

tough lookup question

Oops, I tried to send it but it came back undeliverable? I used:

?

Thanks,

#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Bonnie

tough lookup question

Thanks, I'm sending it over.

#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Toppers

tough lookup question

yes ... should be OK

#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Bonnie

tough lookup question

It says "Destination not valid with DNS." Can you receive an Excel file or
should I zip it?

"Toppers" wrote:

yes ... should be OK

#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Toppers

tough lookup question

I have received both before without any problem. If you continue to have
problems, post your address and I'll contact you!

"Bonnie" wrote:

It says "Destination not valid with DNS." Can you receive an Excel file or
should I zip it?

"Toppers" wrote:

yes ... should be OK

#9999. Does anyone know a formula or code to do this?

Thanks in advance.