-   -   VLookup occasionally returns formula with no data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/153569-vlookup-occasionally-returns-formula-no-data.html)

Ted Jillett

VLookup occasionally returns formula with no data

Okay so I've done many many complicated vlookups in my life time.. But
occasionally when I use one after done with the formula it returns the
formula and not the results. Any help on if there is a setting in Excel that
I need to turn off??

Here is what I'm getting for
results"=VLOOKUP(B2,[customera.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,0)"

Please help

Mike H

VLookup occasionally returns formula with no data

Maybe:-

Tools|Options|View and un-check formulas

Or shortcut

CTRL + ` (The ` is to the left of the 1 key)

Or maybe the cell is text so change to General hit F2 and enter.

Mike
"Ted Jillett" wrote:

Okay so I've done many many complicated vlookups in my life time.. But
occasionally when I use one after done with the formula it returns the
formula and not the results. Any help on if there is a setting in Excel that
I need to turn off??

Here is what I'm getting for
results"=VLOOKUP(B2,[customera.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,0)"

Please help

Ted Jillett[_2_]

VLookup occasionally returns formula with no data

Mike H;
You know I swear that I tried that and it didn't work so I just tried
something new... Changed to General and saved both files.. Still same
problem.. Then shut down excel and reopened it.. .Bang when I re-inserted the
Vlookup it worked.. Also I did not change any setting under options as they
were all fine..

Thanks for your help

Ted

"Ted Jillett" wrote:

Okay so I've done many many complicated vlookups in my life time.. But
occasionally when I use one after done with the formula it returns the
formula and not the results. Any help on if there is a setting in Excel that
I need to turn off??

Here is what I'm getting for
results"=VLOOKUP(B2,[customera.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,0)"

Please help

bj

VLookup occasionally returns formula with no data

ah! the infamous reboot cure. I still often spend way too much time trying
other things before trying this and having it work.