-   -   zip code with mail merge (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/152805-zip-code-mail-merge.html)

Booklisa

zip code with mail merge

the 1st zero gets dropped from zip codes when address spreadsheet is used for
mail merge.

John Bundy

zip code with mail merge

I hope this isn't the same person posting from yesterday!! if so send me your
stuff, if not try =text(A1,"00000") then you can copy and paste special
values over your old data.
--
-John
is helpful.

"Booklisa" wrote:

the 1st zero gets dropped from zip codes when address spreadsheet is used for
mail merge.

BoniM

zip code with mail merge

The first zero is getting dropped because it isn't really there - your cell
has just been formatted to show one. To format your merge field so it will
do the same thing - open your mail merge document, press Alt+F9 to show field
codes, for your zip code field, add the following switch after the field name
and before the bracket:
\# 00000
if your zip code field name is zip - it would look like this:
{ MERGEFIELD zip \# 00000}

Alt+F9 again to hide the field codes - when merge data is displayed, you
should have your leading zero's back.

"Booklisa" wrote:

the 1st zero gets dropped from zip codes when address spreadsheet is used for
mail merge.

Beth at the Chamber

zip code with mail merge

I am wondering why Office 2007 made this so complicated and if there is a way
to save this as the default field name. My officemates and I do mail merges
very often and this is an extra step instead of an advancement of technology.
Thank you for solving this mystery.
Beth

"Booklisa" wrote:

the 1st zero gets dropped from zip codes when address spreadsheet is used for
mail merge.

David McRitchie

zip code with mail merge

Rather than using numbers of zipcodes, I would suggest
that you format the column as Text in Excel before entry,
that would mean that you can have both 5 digit and 9 digit
US zip codes, and you can use zip codes used in other
countries.

Another method would be to add another column in Excel
=TEXT(E5,"00000") or to use the macro FixUSzip5
suggested on my Mail Merge page.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#fixUSzip5

Haven't actually tried these on Excel 2007 yet, but they
worked fine on Excel 2000 and Excel 2002.
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Beth at the Chamber" wrote in