-   -   Excel 2003 - Changing Date Format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/152790-excel-2003-changing-date-format.html)

oceanmist

Excel 2003 - Changing Date Format

I need to sort on a date column but cannot do it so that it makes any sense
as the date column is formatted as, for example -

20.08.07

for August 20, 2007

I need to make turn the periods into /'s so that it recognizes its a date.
How do I do this?

Shannon W.

Excel 2003 - Changing Date Format

Highlight all the cells you wish to format. Go into your format pulldown and
select "Cells". Click the date option and choose the format you want.

"oceanmist" wrote:

I need to sort on a date column but cannot do it so that it makes any sense
as the date column is formatted as, for example -

20.08.07

for August 20, 2007

I need to make turn the periods into /'s so that it recognizes its a date.
How do I do this?

oceanmist

Excel 2003 - Changing Date Format

I have already done that but it doesn't change the periods into slashes and
therefore it won't sort in date order, only numerical order.

"oceanmist" wrote:

I need to sort on a date column but cannot do it so that it makes any sense
as the date column is formatted as, for example -

20.08.07

for August 20, 2007

I need to make turn the periods into /'s so that it recognizes its a date.
How do I do this?

Gord Dibben

Excel 2003 - Changing Date Format

DataText to ColumnsNextNextColumn Data FormatDate DMY and Finish.

Worked for me with 20.08.07

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP