-   -   Pivot Table Default (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/151888-pivot-table-default.html)

Mike H.

Pivot Table Default

Every time I create a pivot table, I have to edit the number that I am
summing so that it is formatted as number with a comma. And often it will
default to counting instead of summing, so I have to edit that also. Is
there a way to have the default format for a number to have commas and to
default to sum not count?

Debra Dalgleish

Pivot Table Default

You can't change the default settings for the data fields. If a field
contains blank cells, or cells with text, it will default to COUNT.
Otherwise, it will SUM.
When the field is added to the data area, it will be formatted as
General. There's no option where you can change that setting either.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures