-   -   Show decimals only when needed (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/151648-show-decimals-only-when-needed.html)

betany70

Show decimals only when needed

We have a spreadsheet that is chrunched for space - there are only a few
cases where decimal places are needed - but when they are they need to be
shown. If I format everything to two decimal places the text (using shrik to
fit) gets really small. Is there a way through conditional formatting or
somewhere else to show decimal places only if the cell value contains them?
I am using Office 2007 and can add tons of conditional formats but once I
send to Office 2003 users they only retain the top 3...... Thanks!

JE McGimpsey

Show decimals only when needed

Formatting the cells as General will show decimal places only when
needed.

In article ,
betany70 wrote:

We have a spreadsheet that is chrunched for space - there are only a few
cases where decimal places are needed - but when they are they need to be
shown. If I format everything to two decimal places the text (using shrik to
fit) gets really small. Is there a way through conditional formatting or
somewhere else to show decimal places only if the cell value contains them?
I am using Office 2007 and can add tons of conditional formats but once I
send to Office 2003 users they only retain the top 3...... Thanks!

RagDyeR

Show decimals only when needed

Custom format to any of the following:
#.##
0.##

All numbers will display a decimal point though.
--

HTH,

RD

"betany70" wrote in message
We have a spreadsheet that is chrunched for space - there are only a few
cases where decimal places are needed - but when they are they need to be
shown. If I format everything to two decimal places the text (using shrik
fit) gets really small. Is there a way through conditional formatting or
somewhere else to show decimal places only if the cell value contains them?
I am using Office 2007 and can add tons of conditional formats but once I
send to Office 2003 users they only retain the top 3...... Thanks!

betany70

Show decimals only when needed

Jeez I feel dumb!!!!! Thanks so much....