-   -   Copy formula not working?! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/151612-copy-formula-not-working.html)

Patch

Copy formula not working?!

Hi there,

I have inherited a worksheet, that seems to be doing something rather odd...

Lets say there is data in column A, I now enter a simple subtraction formula
in cell A1 and the result is 12. If I copy this formula down a few rows, 12
apears as the result in all cells (which is not the correct answer, but
rather a value that has been copied).

What is more intesting is if I then click into cell A2 and press 'Enter' the
forumla is shown as expected. Then when I navigate awat from cell A2 the
correct answer appears!

I have tried various formatting, and checks but I can seem to resolve this.

Any ideads please.....

Pete_UK

Copy formula not working?!

You probably have manual recalcuation set for this workbook. Go to
Tools | Options | Calculation tab and click on Automatic recalcuation.
You can also press F9 to recalculate a sheet set to manual.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 25, 11:40 am, Patch wrote:
Hi there,

I have inherited a worksheet, that seems to be doing something rather odd...

Lets say there is data in column A, I now enter a simple subtraction formula
in cell A1 and the result is 12. If I copy this formula down a few rows, 12
apears as the result in all cells (which is not the correct answer, but
rather a value that has been copied).

What is more intesting is if I then click into cell A2 and press 'Enter' the
forumla is shown as expected. Then when I navigate awat from cell A2 the
correct answer appears!

I have tried various formatting, and checks but I can seem to resolve this.

Any ideads please.....

Toppers

Copy formula not working?!

Check Tools=Options=Calculation--Automatic (not Manual)

"Patch" wrote:

Hi there,

I have inherited a worksheet, that seems to be doing something rather odd...

Lets say there is data in column A, I now enter a simple subtraction formula
in cell A1 and the result is 12. If I copy this formula down a few rows, 12
apears as the result in all cells (which is not the correct answer, but
rather a value that has been copied).

What is more intesting is if I then click into cell A2 and press 'Enter' the
forumla is shown as expected. Then when I navigate awat from cell A2 the
correct answer appears!

I have tried various formatting, and checks but I can seem to resolve this.

Any ideads please.....

Patch

Copy formula not working?!

Excellent, thank you very much. Great tip about F9 too.

On Jul 25, 11:40 am, Patch wrote:
Hi there,

I have inherited a worksheet, that seems to be doing something rather odd...

Lets say there is data in column A, I now enter a simple subtraction formula
in cell A1 and the result is 12. If I copy this formula down a few rows, 12
apears as the result in all cells (which is not the correct answer, but
rather a value that has been copied).

What is more intesting is if I then click into cell A2 and press 'Enter' the
forumla is shown as expected. Then when I navigate awat from cell A2 the
correct answer appears!

I have tried various formatting, and checks but I can seem to resolve this.

Any ideads please.....

Pete_UK

Copy formula not working?!

Thanks for feeding back - glad to be of help.

Pete

On Jul 25, 11:40 am, Patch wrote:
Hi there,

I have inherited a worksheet, that seems to be doing something rather odd...

Lets say there is data in column A, I now enter a simple subtraction formula
in cell A1 and the result is 12. If I copy this formula down a few rows, 12
apears as the result in all cells (which is not the correct answer, but
rather a value that has been copied).

What is more intesting is if I then click into cell A2 and press 'Enter' the
forumla is shown as expected. Then when I navigate awat from cell A2 the
correct answer appears!

I have tried various formatting, and checks but I can seem to resolve this.

Any ideads please.....- Hide quoted text -