-   -   Type details into one cell and they copy into another (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/151454-type-details-into-one-cell-they-copy-into-another.html)

slavenp

Type details into one cell and they copy into another

I have a list of school in two different orders but require to have the same
information listed next to them. Rather than type the information out twice,
how do I set up Excel to copy the text as I write it into the same to schools
on different sheets and on different lines? Hope ya can help!

steve_doc

Type details into one cell and they copy into another

VLOOKUP function comes to mind

Set up 1 worksheet as your master list eg sheet 1
Name the data eg MasterTable

Ensure that the school name is in the 1st column
then in the cells where you need the data use
=VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ra nge_lookup)

HTH
"slavenp" wrote:

I have a list of school in two different orders but require to have the same
information listed next to them. Rather than type the information out twice,
how do I set up Excel to copy the text as I write it into the same to schools
on different sheets and on different lines? Hope ya can help!

slavenp

Type details into one cell and they copy into another

Steve, thanks for this post. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. May I
be doing something incorrect or is there another way to achieve what I
require? Ta.