-   -   how do I Change cell fill colour by placing letter in it (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/151201-how-do-i-change-cell-fill-colour-placing-letter.html)

Spreadsheetdimwit

how do I Change cell fill colour by placing letter in it

I have a spreadsheet which has some cells formatted to change their fill
colour to grey if the letter N is entered. I cannot figure out how to do
this so that I can use it on another spreadsheet, any ideas??

garfield-n-odie [MVP]

how do I Change cell fill colour by placing letter in it

Conditional formatting.

Spreadsheetdimwit wrote:

I have a spreadsheet which has some cells formatted to change their fill
colour to grey if the letter N is entered. I cannot figure out how to do
this so that I can use it on another spreadsheet, any ideas??

Dallman Ross

how do I Change cell fill colour by placing letter in it

In , garfield-n-odie [MVP]
spake thusly:

Spreadsheetdimwit wrote:

I have a spreadsheet which has some cells formatted to change
their fill colour to grey if the letter N is entered. I cannot
figure out how to do this [. . .]

From the Menu: Format / Conditional Formatting...

Set Condition-1 to: Cell Value Equal To ="N"

Or maybe you'll want "Greater Than or Equal To" instead of "Equal To".
Then you can have the cell value *start* with "N" and have it gray,
such as the value "N/A" or "NA", etc.

--
dman

Don Guillett

how do I Change cell fill colour by placing letter in it

Select the cell with the conditionformatconditional formatting and you
will see

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel