-   -   do formulas have to be case sensative when searching words (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/150490-do-formulas-have-case-sensative-when-searching-words.html)

Elaine

do formulas have to be case sensative when searching words

I am trying to use a formaul which looks at the contents of a cell, however,
is it possible to construct a formula which is not case sensative?

E.g. does A1 contain "dog" - I want true if contains "DOG", "Dog" or "dog"

Bob Phillips

do formulas have to be case sensative when searching words

There is a simple way to answer this ... try it!

It is not case sensitive in a straight comparison, there is an EXACT
function to achieve that.

--
HTH

Bob

"elaine" wrote in message
I am trying to use a formaul which looks at the contents of a cell,
however,
is it possible to construct a formula which is not case sensative?

E.g. does A1 contain "dog" - I want true if contains "DOG", "Dog" or "dog"

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)

do formulas have to be case sensative when searching words

I am trying to use a formaul which looks at the contents of a cell,
however,
is it possible to construct a formula which is not case sensative?

E.g. does A1 contain "dog" - I want true if contains "DOG", "Dog" or "dog"

If your example is all you want to do (that is, do a case-insensitive search
for some text in other text that returns TRUE or FALSE), you could do
this...

=NOT(ISERR(SEARCH("dog",A1)))

Rick