-   -   VLookups Across Mulitple Table Arrays (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/150411-vlookups-across-mulitple-table-arrays.html)

Elise148

VLookups Across Mulitple Table Arrays

Is there a way to do a vlookup using mulitple table arrays? I tried, and
couldn't get it to work, but maybe I wasn't doing it the right way...

Don Guillett

VLookups Across Mulitple Table Arrays

More detail???

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Elise148" wrote in message
Is there a way to do a vlookup using mulitple table arrays? I tried, and
couldn't get it to work, but maybe I wasn't doing it the right way...

Pete_UK

VLookups Across Mulitple Table Arrays

Do you mean to look in one table and if it isn't there look in another
one, and so on? If so, here's a generic approach, but you'll need to
fill in the details yourself:

=IF(ISNA(vlookup(on_table1)),IF(ISNA(vlookup(on_ta ble2)),"not
present",vlookup(on_table2)),vlookup(on_table1))

Hopefully, you can see the symmetry if you want to apply it to more
tables.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 16, 6:30 pm, Elise148
wrote:
Is there a way to do a vlookup using mulitple table arrays? I tried, and
couldn't get it to work, but maybe I wasn't doing it the right way...

Elise148

VLookups Across Mulitple Table Arrays

Well, what I'd like to do is check a table in 11 different sheets for a
specific account number and have a formula add all the amounts in a column
that relate to that account...

"Don Guillett" wrote:

More detail???

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Elise148" wrote in message
Is there a way to do a vlookup using mulitple table arrays? I tried, and
couldn't get it to work, but maybe I wasn't doing it the right way...

Elise148

VLookups Across Mulitple Table Arrays

No, I would need to have the vlookup check about 11 different tables and add
up what it finds in all of the tables for the assigned value...any ideas?

wrote:
Is there a way to do a vlookup using mulitple table arrays? I tried, and
couldn't get it to work, but maybe I wasn't doing it the right way...

Don Guillett

VLookups Across Mulitple Table Arrays

What you want to do is doable but until you can give enough detail for
someone to help you, you won't get much help. No mind readers here. Send me
a workbook if you like but if you don't give me details I will just delete.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Elise148" wrote in message
Well, what I'd like to do is check a table in 11 different sheets for a
specific account number and have a formula add all the amounts in a column
that relate to that account...

"Don Guillett" wrote:

More detail???

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Elise148" wrote in message
Is there a way to do a vlookup using mulitple table arrays? I tried,
and
couldn't get it to work, but maybe I wasn't doing it the right way...

T. Valko

VLookups Across Mulitple Table Arrays

Sounds like you want to do a SUMIF across multiple sheets.

Try this:

Make a list of your sheet names in say, A1:A11.

This will sum B1:B10 if A1:A10 on any of the sheets listed contain the
account number XX:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&A1:A11&"'!A1:A10"), "XX",INDIRECT("'"&A1:A11&"'!B1:B10")))

If the account number is a numeric number like 9999 do not enclose it in
quotes. If the account number is an alpha-numeric like X99C then do enclose
it in quotes.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Elise148" wrote in message
Well, what I'd like to do is check a table in 11 different sheets for a
specific account number and have a formula add all the amounts in a column
that relate to that account...

"Don Guillett" wrote:

More detail???

--