Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Graphs in 2007 various problems

Recently I started using Excel 2007. It took some time to get used to and
trying to find where they put the old menu items, but that is normal.

I am creating a spreadsheet to show linear programming problems in a
graphical way (so only using two variables) and wanted to setup one general
one, so I could copy this to new tabs/sheets.
During this exercise I ran into three problems:

1) Removing data markers
Everywhere I read about the types of scattergraphs and all have markers with
them. What happened to the old option 'no data markers'? Now I have to single
select each line then open the options and set markers to none. For a few
lines this is okay but I have 20 lines so it takes a very long time.

2) Empty cells keep on showing
This is already posted here, but still. It is annoying that the empty cells
do appear in the diagram. Now I have to change the option "" to NA()
resulting in an ugly error, which then cannot be hidden since then the lines
will never show even if there would be non na errors. Also the legend keeps
on showing the line as an option even though the actual line is not shown.
This whole problem did not occur in 2003 so why did they change this???

3) Data reference always to original sheet
This is the biggest problem and I hope someone has an easy solution. Once I
have a diagram, and use copy sheet to a new sheet, the diagram on the new
sheet is still based on the data from the original sheet. So for example the
diagram and the data are on Sheet1 then I make a copy of Sheet1, but on the
new sheet the diagram refers to the data on Sheet1 and not the data on the
new sheet.
I tried removing the 'Sheet1!' in front of the cell referencing in the
select data option, but it would not allow me to do this.
Does anyone know of a solution for this?

Well hope it is all clear and hoping that someone has a solution.

Already many thanks for any suggestion.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1) When you make the chart: Insert | Chart, now look at the Scatter tool -
it has a down arrow on it right-hand side, click this to reveal the XY
subtypes. You can select with or without markers.

2) In previous version of Excel you could use Tools | Options, open the
Chart tab and specify how missing data was handled. In XL2007, with chart
selected, use Chart Tools | Design, open the Selected Data tool, click the
Hidden and Empty Cells button (lower left corner of dialog), now specify how
blank cells are to be handled

3) This was always the case. My workaround is to copy the Sheet (not the
chart) and on the new sheet I enter the new data.

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme