-   -   Drag/drop to open zipped Excel file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/150278-drag-drop-open-zipped-excel-file.html)

hmm

Drag/drop to open zipped Excel file

A few times a week I get many large zip folders containing .TXT files
(through an FTP server), which I must unzip in order to open in Excel.
Because of the largeness of the folders, I must often delete the unzipped
version after viewing, necessitating re-unzipping the next time.

Rather than go through this cumbersome (and slow) procedure, is there any
way I open the files by draging them from the zip folder directly into Excel?

Bernard Liengme

Drag/drop to open zipped Excel file

Here is the result of an experiment I did:
1) Put a TXT and a XLS file in to a ZIP file
2) Opened the Zip file with WINZIP
3) I already had Excel open, so I can see the Excel window with the WinZip
window on top of it.
4) I dragged the TXT file onto the Excel workspace; and that file opened
5) I repeated this with the XLS file
Does this answer you question?
But: Why not unzip the entire file and then delete the Zip file after each
download?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme