-   -   Identify address of cell containing specific data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/149938-identify-address-cell-containing-specific-data.html)

Peter N.

Identify address of cell containing specific data

If range A1:D1 contains names of months January - April and G1 can be any
month, how can I find out the address of the cell containing the data that is
in G1? I use Excel 2000.

bj

Identify address of cell containing specific data

try
="A"&match(G1,A1:A4)
as one way

"Peter N." wrote:

If range A1:D1 contains names of months January - April and G1 can be any
month, how can I find out the address of the cell containing the data that is
in G1? I use Excel 2000.

JLatham

Identify address of cell containing specific data

Another, similar way:
=ADDRESS(1,MATCH(G1,A1:D1,0))
that will return #N/A if G1 does not hold 1 of the 4 month names, you can
deal with that with:
=IF(ISNA(ADDRESS(1,MATCH(G1,A1:D1,0))),"",ADDRESS( 1,MATCH(G1,A1:D1,0)))
or even tell when there's no match with that last one changed to
=IF(ISNA(ADDRESS(1,MATCH(G1,A1:D1,0))),"No
Match",ADDRESS(1,MATCH(G1,A1:D1,0)))

"Peter N." wrote:

If range A1:D1 contains names of months January - April and G1 can be any
month, how can I find out the address of the cell containing the data that is
in G1? I use Excel 2000.

Peter N.[_2_]

Identify address of cell containing specific data

Thanks - very useful