-   -   calculated fields - change field settings (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/149722-calculated-fields-change-field-settings.html)

FaN404

calculated fields - change field settings

Hi!
on a calculated field I've just created, the SUM settings appears by default.
As I wish to calculate AVERAGE, how can I change from SUM to AVERAGE?
From the context menu of my calculated field column I select FIEL SETTINGS,
and a small dialog box opens with several options: SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, etc.

But I can't change/choose none.

Is there a way to change from SUM to AVERAGE?

Thanks.
FN

Stan Brown

calculated fields - change field settings

Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:18:04 -0700 from FaN404 <FaN404
@discussions.microsoft.com:

on a calculated field I've just created, the SUM settings appears by default.
As I wish to calculate AVERAGE, how can I change from SUM to AVERAGE?

Click in the cell, press F2, and type the change.

Maybe I misunderstood your question?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Gord Dibben

calculated fields - change field settings

FaN

Are you talking about hitting the AutoSum icon?

There should be a drop-down arrow at rightside of the Icon.

Click on that to get more options.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

:

on a calculated field I've just created, the SUM settings appears by default.
As I wish to calculate AVERAGE, how can I change from SUM to AVERAGE?

Click in the cell, press F2, and type the change.

Maybe I misunderstood your question?

Debra Dalgleish

calculated fields - change field settings

You can't change the summary function for a calculated field in a pivot
table. Sum is the only function available.

FaN404 wrote:
Hi!
on a calculated field I've just created, the SUM settings appears by default.
As I wish to calculate AVERAGE, how can I change from SUM to AVERAGE?
From the context menu of my calculated field column I select FIEL SETTINGS,

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

FaN404

calculated fields - change field settings

Hi Debra,

Thanks for your answer!

Is there any way to change this setting from SUM to AVERAGE?

It seems to me to be a limitation on the scope of calculated fields.

Cheers,
FN

FaN404 wrote:
Hi!
on a calculated field I've just created, the SUM settings appears by default.
As I wish to calculate AVERAGE, how can I change from SUM to AVERAGE?
From the context menu of my calculated field column I select FIEL SETTINGS,
and a small dialog box opens with several options: SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, etc.

But I can't change/choose none.

Is there a way to change from SUM to AVERAGE?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Dalgleish

calculated fields - change field settings

You're welcome. There's no way to change the setting. Depending on what
the calculated field does, perhaps you could add a field in the source
data that does a similar calculation, then add that to the pivot table,
and show the average.

FaN404 wrote:

Hi!
on a calculated field I've just created, the SUM settings appears by default.
As I wish to calculate AVERAGE, how can I change from SUM to AVERAGE?
From the context menu of my calculated field column I select FIEL SETTINGS,
and a small dialog box opens with several options: SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, etc.

But I can't change/choose none.

Is there a way to change from SUM to AVERAGE?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

FaN404

calculated fields - change field settings

Hi Debra,

That seems to be the best alternative.

Thank you and to everybody on this forum for your contributions.

FN

FaN404 wrote:

Hi!
on a calculated field I've just created, the SUM settings appears by default.
As I wish to calculate AVERAGE, how can I change from SUM to AVERAGE?
From the context menu of my calculated field column I select FIEL SETTINGS,