-   -   How do I get a letter in one cell ito equal a number in anotherl.. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/14953-how-do-i-get-letter-one-cell-ito-equal-number-anotherl.html)

Dave Cadey

How do I get a letter in one cell ito equal a number in anotherl..

I wish to be able to key a letter of the alphabet in a cell ant get a number
to appear in another
eg Cell A1 could be A or B or or C with a=2, b=4 or c=7 etc
The answer should appear in say Cell B1 as 2, 4 or 7 according tp whay
letter has been keyed

Ann Shaw

Hi

I would use a Nested If function.

As follows:

A B
=if(A1="A",1,if(A1="B",2,if(A1="C",3,if
(A1="D",4,0))))

I cannot remember how many if's you can add but I have
used this with 6 conditions. You must put the false
option at the end 0 or "" if you want to leave the cell
blank. Remember to close as many brackets as you open.

Hope this helps - this is just the easy solution , I'm
sure that one of the Microsoft genius' will have another
way to do this.

Ann
I wish to be able to key a letter of the alphabet in a

cell ant get a number
to appear in another
eg Cell A1 could be A or B or or C with a=2, b=4 or c=7

etc
The answer should appear in say Cell B1 as 2, 4 or 7

according tp whay
letter has been keyed
.

Debra Dalgleish

You could create a table that lists the letters in one column and their
values in the adjacent column. Then use a VLOOKUP formula in cell B1, to
return the value for the letter in cell A1. There are instructions and
examples he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List