-   -   Slow startup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/149405-slow-startup.html)

Jack Gostl

Slow startup

I'm running Excel 2002 XP under WIndows XP SP2. When I open Excel, it takes
almost 45 seconds to start. By contrast, IE7 takes only 2-3 seconds.

I've covered the usual suspects. This is not a slow machine, the disk is
periodically defragmented and I've turned off most add ins. I'm open to
other suggestions.

Thanks

Bill Ridgeway

Slow startup

"Jack Gostl" wrote in message
I'm running Excel 2002 XP under WIndows XP SP2. When I open Excel, it
takes almost 45 seconds to start. By contrast, IE7 takes only 2-3 seconds.

I've covered the usual suspects. This is not a slow machine, the disk is
periodically defragmented and I've turned off most add ins. I'm open to
other suggestions.

Thanks

Do you have Norton Internet Security? This slows down Excel. if so you
will see a message (bottom left-hand corner) to the effect scanning for
viruses.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

CLR

Slow startup

Try turning off ALL add-ins and personal.xls and anything else in your
Startup directory. If it makes a significant difference then adding them
back one at a time will reveal the one causing the slowdown.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
"Jack Gostl" wrote in message
I'm running Excel 2002 XP under WIndows XP SP2. When I open Excel, it
takes almost 45 seconds to start. By contrast, IE7 takes only 2-3

seconds.

I've covered the usual suspects. This is not a slow machine, the disk is
periodically defragmented and I've turned off most add ins. I'm open to
other suggestions.

Thanks

Do you have Norton Internet Security? This slows down Excel. if so you
will see a message (bottom left-hand corner) to the effect scanning for
viruses.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Stan Brown

Slow startup

Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:53:40 +0100 from Bill Ridgeway <info@
1001solutions.co.uk:
"Jack Gostl" wrote in message
I'm running Excel 2002 XP under WIndows XP SP2. When I open Excel, it
takes almost 45 seconds to start. By contrast, IE7 takes only 2-3 seconds.

I've covered the usual suspects. This is not a slow machine, the disk is
periodically defragmented and I've turned off most add ins. I'm open to
other suggestions.

Thanks

Do you have Norton Internet Security? This slows down Excel. if so you
will see a message (bottom left-hand corner) to the effect scanning for
viruses.

It's not just Norton. I have AVG Free, and I see "Running virus
scan..." in lower left when I open Excel or Word.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Dave Peterson

Slow startup

If you start excel in safe mode:

Close excel
Windows start button|Run
excel /safe

Is it quicker?

If you change to a different default printer, is it quicker?

--

Dave Peterson

Jack Gostl

Slow startup

Yes I do, but that message doesn't appear until almost 30 seconds into the
45 second startup, so I have my doubts that its involved.

"Jack Gostl" wrote in message
I'm running Excel 2002 XP under WIndows XP SP2. When I open Excel, it
takes almost 45 seconds to start. By contrast, IE7 takes only 2-3
seconds.

I've covered the usual suspects. This is not a slow machine, the disk is
periodically defragmented and I've turned off most add ins. I'm open to
other suggestions.

Thanks

Do you have Norton Internet Security? This slows down Excel. if so you
will see a message (bottom left-hand corner) to the effect scanning for
viruses.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Jack Gostl

Slow startup

To all who responded.

Turning off the Anti-virus scan inside Norton did the trick. I have to admit
I'm a bit nervous about this, but the more I think about it, the more like
overkill it seems. Any spreadsheets coming in via email are scanned, so the
only risk is if I bring a spreadsheet in manually, and I'll just have to
exercise some care.

t...
"Jack Gostl" wrote in message
I'm running Excel 2002 XP under WIndows XP SP2. When I open Excel, it
takes almost 45 seconds to start. By contrast, IE7 takes only 2-3
seconds.

I've covered the usual suspects. This is not a slow machine, the disk
is
periodically defragmented and I've turned off most add ins. I'm open to
other suggestions.

Thanks

Do you have Norton Internet Security? This slows down Excel. if so you
will see a message (bottom left-hand corner) to the effect scanning for
viruses.

It's not just Norton. I have AVG Free, and I see "Running virus
scan..." in lower left when I open Excel or Word.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Martin von Gagern

Slow startup

Hi Jack!

You might want to try this approach:
http://martin.von-gagern.net/howtos/excel2007load
I already posted that here, but that was some time ago.

Martin