-   -   Sorting Data Automatically (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/1487-sorting-data-automatically.html)

Alan Bartley

Sorting Data Automatically

I am importing text into a new worksheet and would like to run a macro
that can perform labour a labour intensive sort/deletion.

Column A contains a mixture of text strings as follows:

QR4567
QR4567/QT1223
QR4290
QR4290/QT1224

What I would like to do is determine how many QR's have associated
QT's and how many QR's are remaining that dont have associated QT's.

Alan Bartley
Sydney Australia

JulieD

Hi Alan

not sure how the sorting comes into this - sounds more like needing a
formula to count when a cell contains both QR & QT as opposed to just
containing QR???

to count the number containing both QR & QT try
=COUNTIF(A1:A4,"*QR*QT*")
to count the number containing only QR
=COUNTIF(A1:A4,"*QR*")-COUNTIF(A1:A4,"*QR*QT*")

Cheers
JulieD
(Perth)

om...