-   -   Or's with If's Statements (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/147545-ors-ifs-statements.html)

Sr Accountant[_2_]

Or's with If's Statements

I am trying to write an if statement for a range of cells, so that if any one
of the 6 cells has a certain word in them, my destination cell (where my
formula is written), will give my staff members a certain command. Is there
a way to do this with an 'if' statement, or does anyone have other
suggestions?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Shelli - Senior Accountant

FloMM2

Or's with If's Statements

Sr Accountant,
This is what I came up with:
Cells A11 thru F11 blank,
In cell G11
"=IF(ISTEXT(A11)=TRUE,1,IF(ISTEXT(B11)=TRUE,2,IF(I STEXT(C11)=TRUE,3,IF(ISTEXT(D11)=TRUE,4,IF(ISTEXT( E11)=TRUE,5,IF(ISTEXT(F11)=TRUE,6,0))))))"
This looks at each cell one at a time, if there is text in it, it outputs a
corresponding number. To change the command, depending on the response. Just
change the number to the command.
hth

"Sr Accountant" wrote:

I am trying to write an if statement for a range of cells, so that if any one
of the 6 cells has a certain word in them, my destination cell (where my
formula is written), will give my staff members a certain command. Is there
a way to do this with an 'if' statement, or does anyone have other
suggestions?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Shelli - Senior Accountant

PCLIVE

Or's with If's Statements

If the certain word exist in the cell, will it be the only word in the
cell...or might there be other words along with it? If the text string you
are searching for will not contain any other text along with it, then:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A6,"CertainWord")0,"Word exists.","Word does NOT exist.")

HTH,
Paul

"Sr Accountant" wrote in message
I am trying to write an if statement for a range of cells, so that if any
one
of the 6 cells has a certain word in them, my destination cell (where my
formula is written), will give my staff members a certain command. Is
there
a way to do this with an 'if' statement, or does anyone have other
suggestions?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Shelli - Senior Accountant

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)

Or's with If's Statements

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A6,"CertainWord")0,"Word exists.","Word does NOT exist.")

You can leave the 0 out and it will still work, right?

Rick

PCLIVE

Or's with If's Statements

This is true. It's jkind of a habit of mine to include the operator in
there, even when it's only necessary to check true or false. Thanks for
pointing that out.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A6,"CertainWord")0,"Word exists.","Word does NOT exist.")

You can leave the 0 out and it will still work, right?

Rick

Sr Accountant[_2_]

Or's with If's Statements

There will be three options, "Cash Post", "Do Not Cash Post" or Blank.
Nothing else should appear in the cells. I will give your ideas a try.

Thank you,
Shelli

"PCLIVE" wrote:

[...]

This works beautifully. Thank you for all the help. Have a great day!
Shelli