-   -   Recover Back up files (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/147041-recover-back-up-files.html)

Helpme

Recover Back up files

I finished working on a large file and went to save it when i got an error
and Excel shut down on me. I went to the location where Excel saves the back
up with the extension of .xlb and have tried to open it. All I get is a new
work book and the file never opens. Is there a way to open the .xlb file that
i am not doing?

Gord Dibben

Recover Back up files

First of all.........backup files are *.xlk files. *.xlb is the file that
saves your customizations.

Second of all..........how were the backup file(s) created?

Using the "always create a backup" from FileSave as ToolsGeneral Options or
are you speaking of the files Excel creates under ToolsOptionsSave?

If the latter, Excel should have presented you with a file to recover if Excel
crashed while you had the file open. Did it not?

Try going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Look for a *.xar file.

Change extension to .xls and see if it opens.

You might get lucky.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP