-   -   function of "+" in the formula "=+(B19/50)*B10 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/14673-function-%22-%22-formula-%22%3D-b19-50-%2Ab10.html)

josh66six

function of "+" in the formula "=+(B19/50)*B10

I am trying to determine why the author of the spreadsheet used the plus sign
in the above formula. It doesn't appear to alter the result in any way.
What does it do when following the "="? Is it there to make the value
positive? Or is there another function?

JE McGimpsey

It does nothing.

In article ,
josh66six wrote:

I am trying to determine why the author of the spreadsheet used the plus sign
in the above formula. It doesn't appear to alter the result in any way.
What does it do when following the "="? Is it there to make the value
positive? Or is there another function?

Dave O

This is the result when you enter the formula using, say, the plus sign
on the number pod instead of the equal sign. It's redundant and as JE
McG points out, does nothing to the result of the formula. I tested a
number of scenarios to see if I could get Excel to change the result of
the formula (neg to pos, for instance), with no result.

Bottom line is: it's redundant, confusing, and redundant.

CyberTaz

Ditto to all the above. The expression was probably written by a former Lotus
123 user.|:)

"Dave O" wrote:

This is the result when you enter the formula using, say, the plus sign
on the number pod instead of the equal sign. It's redundant and as JE
McG points out, does nothing to the result of the formula. I tested a
number of scenarios to see if I could get Excel to change the result of
the formula (neg to pos, for instance), with no result.

Bottom line is: it's redundant, confusing, and redundant.

Dave Peterson

Lots of Lotus 123 users evolved into this habit. Lotus 123 started its formulas
with + (usually).

--

Dave Peterson