Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I use LOOKUP as the reference in OFFSET function?

I would like to create a function that will lookup one particular cell in a
set range and instead of returning the value found in the range, make the
output be the cell that is one row up and 10 colums over from the found cell
in range.

Here's what I've tried so far:
=offset(VLOOKUP($B33,$O3:$Y40000,11,FALSE),-1,0,1,1)
OR
=offset(LOOKUP($B33,$O3:$O40000),-1,10,1,1)

But Excel told me I had an error and it won't accept the equation.
Can you use a LOOKUP function as the reference in the OFFSET function?
If so, how should I write it?

Thanks!
Danni
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use INDEX and MATCH instead

=INDEX(Y3:Y4000,MATCH(B33,O3:O40000,0)-1)

might work

Peo Sjoblom

"Danni2004" wrote in message
I would like to create a function that will lookup one particular cell in a
set range and instead of returning the value found in the range, make the
output be the cell that is one row up and 10 colums over from the found
cell
in range.

Here's what I've tried so far:
=offset(VLOOKUP($B33,$O3:$Y40000,11,FALSE),-1,0,1,1)
OR
=offset(LOOKUP($B33,$O3:$O40000),-1,10,1,1)

But Excel told me I had an error and it won't accept the equation.
Can you use a LOOKUP function as the reference in the OFFSET function?
If so, how should I write it?

Thanks!
Danni

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your quick response!
The equation almost works except I had to take the "-1" off of the end
because it gave me "#VALUE!". When I took off the "-1", it returned the value
of the cell just below the one I need.

Suggestions?

"Danni2004" wrote in message
I would like to create a function that will lookup one particular cell in a
set range and instead of returning the value found in the range, make the
output be the cell that is one row up and 10 colums over from the found
cell
in range.

Here's what I've tried so far:
=offset(VLOOKUP($B33,$O3:$Y40000,11,FALSE),-1,0,1,1)
OR
=offset(LOOKUP($B33,$O3:$O40000),-1,10,1,1)

But Excel told me I had an error and it won't accept the equation.
Can you use a LOOKUP function as the reference in the OFFSET function?
If so, how should I write it?

Thanks!
Danni

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Danni,

Your were close. Your formulas gave you trouble because OFFSET wants a cell reference
(location), but the VLOOKUP is giving the value, not the reference to the cell. MATCH gives
an index (a number, then number of rows into the column) to the cell where it found your
value. Then you can use that in the OFFSET, to wit:

=OFFSET(O2,MATCH($B33,O3:O40000,0)-1,11)

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...
"Danni2004" wrote in message
I would like to create a function that will lookup one particular cell in a
set range and instead of returning the value found in the range, make the
output be the cell that is one row up and 10 colums over from the found cell
in range.

Here's what I've tried so far:
=offset(VLOOKUP($B33,$O3:$Y40000,11,FALSE),-1,0,1,1)
OR
=offset(LOOKUP($B33,$O3:$O40000),-1,10,1,1)

But Excel told me I had an error and it won't accept the equation.
Can you use a LOOKUP function as the reference in the OFFSET function?
If so, how should I write it?

Thanks!
Danni

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Totally worked!
Thanks so much for your help!
By the way, can you suggest where I can go to learn more about advanced
Excel functions?

"Danni2004" wrote in message
I would like to create a function that will lookup one particular cell in a
set range and instead of returning the value found in the range, make the
output be the cell that is one row up and 10 colums over from the found cell
in range.

Here's what I've tried so far:
=offset(VLOOKUP($B33,$O3:$Y40000,11,FALSE),-1,0,1,1)
OR
=offset(LOOKUP($B33,$O3:$O40000),-1,10,1,1)

But Excel told me I had an error and it won't accept the equation.
Can you use a LOOKUP function as the reference in the OFFSET function?
If so, how should I write it?

Thanks!
Danni

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The functions (with the singular exception of DATEDIF) are listed at
(or Excel help)
--
David Biddulph