-   -   How can I sort a selection of cells into random order? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/146394-how-can-i-sort-selection-cells-into-random-order.html)

IanS

How can I sort a selection of cells into random order?

I wish to sort a list of names into random order, rather than ascending or
descending. Can anyone point me in the right direction? (MS Office 2003)

RagDyeR

How can I sort a selection of cells into random order?

Place/use a "helper" column along side the list and fill that column with
the Rand function.

=Rand()

Then, simply select both columns, and sort on the "helper column.
--
HTH,

RD

"IanS" wrote in message
I wish to sort a list of names into random order, rather than ascending or
descending. Can anyone point me in the right direction? (MS Office 2003)

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful answer. Simple!

IanS