-   -   Custom Number Format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/146144-custom-number-format.html)

ASH29

Custom Number Format

Is it possible to format a number from millions to thousands. For example
12.345 to 12,345. I have found how to format in the other direction but
can't work it out this way.

Thanks

JE McGimpsey

Custom Number Format

There's no way to do this with custom formatting. You can, of course,
multiply the cell value by 1000.

In article ,
ASH29 wrote:

Is it possible to format a number from millions to thousands. For example
12.345 to 12,345. I have found how to format in the other direction but
can't work it out this way.

Thanks

SpreadsheetBrian

Custom Number Format

On Jun 12, 9:41 am, ASH29 wrote:
Is it possible to format a number from millions to thousands. For example
12.345 to 12,345. I have found how to format in the other direction but
can't work it out this way.

Thanks

You can reduce the significant digits displayed, but you cannot
increase them.

You can format the number 1000000 to look like "1,000" with a #,0,
or like "1 Million" with a #,##0,," Million"

Alas, you cannot turn 3.14159 into 314,159

Doing so doesn't seem to have as much practical value as the reducing
the precision.
Formatting a number to look like "1 Million" is generally more helpful
than formatting it
to appear as "0.001 Billion"

I recommend that you scale the number up in an adjacent column.

Brian Herbert Withun