-   -   How do I Paste Special? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/146065-how-do-i-paste-special.html)

Deb Kleb

How do I Paste Special?

For some reason, when I try to Copy, then Paste Special -- Values, I am
getting a box that asks if I want Unicode Text or Text. I have done the
Paste Special -- Values command a thousand times successfully, and have never
seen this annoying box. No matter which of the items I check here, the next
thing I get is a message saying the data on the clipboard are not the same
size and shape as the selected area and asks if I want to paste anyway. Of
course I do because it IS the same size and shape. But I'm not allowed to do
that either.

What's up with Excel today??? I'm trying to get a report out!

Thanks,

Jim Thomlinson

How do I Paste Special?

Chances are you are copying and pasting between 2 instances of Excel. Close
one workbook and then close that instance of XL. Reopen the workbook in your
remaining instance of XL and all should be well again...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Deb Kleb" wrote:

For some reason, when I try to Copy, then Paste Special -- Values, I am
getting a box that asks if I want Unicode Text or Text. I have done the
Paste Special -- Values command a thousand times successfully, and have never
seen this annoying box. No matter which of the items I check here, the next
thing I get is a message saying the data on the clipboard are not the same
size and shape as the selected area and asks if I want to paste anyway. Of
course I do because it IS the same size and shape. But I'm not allowed to do
that either.

What's up with Excel today??? I'm trying to get a report out!

Thanks,

Saruman

How do I Paste Special?

Thats because the "text" that you are copying may be in a different format
ie from a web page with differing formats or as HTML Text.

Excel recognises this fact and asks what it should do to the text.

Normally there are 3 choices. Try pasting the copied text in each of the 3
ways available to see the results in Excel, you will be surprised.

--
A White

All Outgoing Mail Scanned By Norton Antivirus 2003
"Deb Kleb" wrote in message
For some reason, when I try to Copy, then Paste Special -- Values, I am
getting a box that asks if I want Unicode Text or Text. I have done the
Paste Special -- Values command a thousand times successfully, and have

never
seen this annoying box. No matter which of the items I check here, the

next
thing I get is a message saying the data on the clipboard are not the same
size and shape as the selected area and asks if I want to paste anyway.

Of
course I do because it IS the same size and shape. But I'm not allowed to

do
that either.

What's up with Excel today??? I'm trying to get a report out!

Thanks,

Deb Kleb

How do I Paste Special?

I am doing this in the same XL workbook -- between 2 worksheets...

"Deb Kleb" wrote:

For some reason, when I try to Copy, then Paste Special -- Values, I am
getting a box that asks if I want Unicode Text or Text. I have done the
Paste Special -- Values command a thousand times successfully, and have never
seen this annoying box. No matter which of the items I check here, the next
thing I get is a message saying the data on the clipboard are not the same
size and shape as the selected area and asks if I want to paste anyway. Of
course I do because it IS the same size and shape. But I'm not allowed to do
that either.

What's up with Excel today??? I'm trying to get a report out!

Thanks,

Deb Kleb

How do I Paste Special?

The information I am copying is from one XL page in a workbook to another.
It is not a different format or HTML text. It is info from another XL
worksheet...

"Deb Kleb" wrote in message
For some reason, when I try to Copy, then Paste Special -- Values, I am
getting a box that asks if I want Unicode Text or Text. I have done the
Paste Special -- Values command a thousand times successfully, and have

never
seen this annoying box. No matter which of the items I check here, the

next
thing I get is a message saying the data on the clipboard are not the same
size and shape as the selected area and asks if I want to paste anyway.

Of
course I do because it IS the same size and shape. But I'm not allowed to

do
that either.

What's up with Excel today??? I'm trying to get a report out!

Thanks,

Gord Dibben

How do I Paste Special?

Are you copying cell contents or copying from the formula bar?

Makes a difference.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP