-   -   Connecting missing points with a dotted line (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/146005-connecting-missing-points-dotted-line.html)

Connecting missing points with a dotted line

Hi,

I have a question about charts. I have a solid line connecting each of my
points in a time-series (days in a month). However, I am missing several
points. For example, lets say Tuesday-Friday of the first week is missing. I
want to connect Monday to Saturday using a dotted line. Right now the cells
for Tuesday-Friday are blank, so it does not draw anything. How can I do this
dotted line most efficiently? Thank you very much!

Andy Pope

Connecting missing points with a dotted line

Hi,

Assuming your data is in the range B2:B10 then put this formula in C2 and
copy down/

=IF(ISBLANK(B2),NA(),B2)

Create your chart based A1:C10. This will give you a line with gaps and a
line that interpolates between the gaps.
Select the series based on C2:C10 and format the line to have the same
colour but dotted or dashed line style.

Cheers
Andy

--