-   -   puttin in a formula with a(-) sign rather than an (=) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/144162-puttin-formula-sign-rather-than-%3D.html)

Serina

puttin in a formula with a(-) sign rather than an (=)

i am trying to put in this equation into my formula box:
-pmt(rate/12,12*years,loan_amt
and it says that it is susposed to be a minus sign (-) instead of an equal
sign (=)
when i push enter it just adds the equal sign(=) right in there so then it
doesnt do what i want it to do

Gord Dibben

puttin in a formula with a(-) sign rather than an (=)

Serina

All formulas(equations) must be prefaced with the = sign.

Where does "it" say that "it" is supposed to be a minus sign?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 May 2007 14:22:00 -0700, Serina
wrote:

i am trying to put in this equation into my formula box:
-pmt(rate/12,12*years,loan_amt
and it says that it is susposed to be a minus sign (-) instead of an equal
sign (=)
when i push enter it just adds the equal sign(=) right in there so then it
doesnt do what i want it to do

joeu2004

On May 25, 2:22 pm, Serina wrote:
i am trying to put in this equation into my formula box:
-pmt(rate/12,12*years,loan_amt
and it says that it is susposed to be a minus sign (-) instead of an
equal sign (=) when i push enter it just adds the equal sign(=) right
in there so then it doesnt do what i want it to do

What does it do differently than you intend?

I suggest that you provide a concrete example -- real numbers, not
conceptuals value like "years" and "loanAmt" -- together with your
intended result and the actual result.

To my knowledge, Excel formulas must always begin with "=". (Although
there might be some Lotus compatibility feature that allows for
another starting character. I don't recall off-hand.)

The "-" is simply part of the formula. In this case, it negates the
result of the PMT() function.

So you might enter the following:

=-pmt(rate/12, 12*years, loanAmt)

And that is exactly what Excel does for you automagically if you
simply entere "-pmt(...)". No harm; no foul.

Alternatively, you might enter the following (my preference):

=pmt(rate/12, 12*years, -loanAmt)

Note that the loanAmt is negated so that the financial function always
returns a non-negative result. This can get tricky and confusing in
functions such as FV(), where both a payment and a "present value"
amount must be entered. You need to be sure that the relative signs
are correct, depending on the problem statement.

joeu2004