-   -   format cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/14377-format-cells.html)

al9315

format cells

I received a spreadsheet which I have to add information to :-
e.g. when it arrived column A is for Ref No.
The first one (A1)was already filled in and had the left and right borders
black and the Ref.No. centred, when I entered my first Ref.No. in the cell
below (A2) the borders automatically went black and the No. I entered was
centred.
How has someone set up the sheet to do this ?
Thanks,

Al

Gord Dibben

Al

ToolsOptionsEdit "Extend list formats and formulas"

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:51:09 -0800, al9315
wrote:

I received a spreadsheet which I have to add information to :-
e.g. when it arrived column A is for Ref No.
The first one (A1)was already filled in and had the left and right borders
black and the Ref.No. centred, when I entered my first Ref.No. in the cell
below (A2) the borders automatically went black and the No. I entered was
centred.
How has someone set up the sheet to do this ?
Thanks,

Al

al9315

I am very grateful for the very quick reply, but it does not appear to work ?
I have Excel 2003 - Tools Option Edit "Extend data range formats &
formulas" , the check box was ticked already, but when I go down to the next
cell and type e.g. 234 it defaults to right format, and no bold borders ?!
Al

wrote:

I received a spreadsheet which I have to add information to :-
e.g. when it arrived column A is for Ref No.
The first one (A1)was already filled in and had the left and right borders
black and the Ref.No. centred, when I entered my first Ref.No. in the cell
below (A2) the borders automatically went black and the No. I entered was
centred.
How has someone set up the sheet to do this ?
Thanks,

Al

al9315

Sorry to be a pest - seem to have solved it.
Conditional formatting if value entered is say between (1 & whatever) then format cells with the border, column was already centre justified so as soon as number is entered it appeared as conditional format

Thanks a lot for your help

Al