-   -   Number Formats (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/143087-number-formats.html)

Matt

Number Formats

How do I display the number 00036 as such instead of excel
automatically formatting it as 36?

Mike H

Number Formats

Try

Format|Cell|Custom and use a custom format of 00000

Mike

"Matt" wrote:

How do I display the number 00036 as such instead of excel
automatically formatting it as 36?

Dave Peterson

Number Formats

You could give the range of cells a custom format:
Select the range
format|cells|Number tab|custom category
type: 00000

You could preformat the cell as Text and type 00036

You could start your entry with an apostrophe: '00036

The last two will treat your entry as text--not a number.

--

Dave Peterson

[email protected]

Number Formats

You can right click on the cell, format cell, and select that cell
type as "text".

On May 17, 8:42 am, Matt wrote:
How do I display the number 00036 as such instead of excel
automatically formatting it as 36?

David Biddulph[_2_]

Number Formats

But that won't help if you've already entered the number. Formatting as
text is fine if you do it before you enter the number.
--
David Biddulph

ups.com...