-   -   Connecting to specific cells in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/142988-connecting-specific-cells-excel.html)

Stonewall

Connecting to specific cells in Excel

I have successfully established a link between two cells of two different
workbooks in Excel. I need to be able to just copy and paste in order to
change my source data when I am updating my figures. When I copy and paste
the new sheet into my source sheet, the linked cell shows "0" instead of the
updated number. Is there a way I can prevent this from happening or can I
create a data connection for one cell in particular? Thanks.

Dave Peterson

Connecting to specific cells in Excel

You end up with a formula that looks like:
=[book2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1

You can modify this formula to hide the 0.
=if([book2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1="","",[book2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1)

(the formula will include the path if the "sending" workbook is closed.)

--

Dave Peterson