Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Substitute a numeric value for a text value in a calculation.

Basically I would like to be able to create a scorecard with the following
parameters.

Column A contains an Action could be anything (example parked car)
Column B contains the weighted value of that action in relation to other
actions (1€”10 )
Column C contains a numeric score for that action.
Excellent 5
Good 4
Fair 3
Poor 2
N/A N/A

I would then like to take the data and determine a €œscore€ for the sum of
the actions.

=(((G33*$C33)+(G34*$C34)+(G35*$C35)+(G36*$C36)+(G3 7*$C37)+(G38*$C38)+(G39*$C39)))

The issue I have run into is that I would like to be able to enter N/A as a
value but when the calculation is done have the value of N/A = 5.

Is there a nice clean way to do this?

I tried inserting =IF(F4="N/A",5,F4) into the formula but that was messy and
didnt work, not sure why.

Thanks

Jeff

--