-   -   return value from Column B if above this row (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/142854-return-value-column-b-if-above-row.html)

CathyH

return value from Column B if above this row

This is probably simply for you guys but here goes:

In Column A I have customers, Column B is blank and Column C is color paint
sold.

A B C
Joe
Black
Red
Jane
Green
Blue
Black
Bob
Grey

For uploading into our system I need Column B to have the customer's name
beside every colour so I want to say:
In Column B, wherever there is data in Column C, return from Column A the
customer name above that row. I need it to look up only the closest name
above it.

Good golly I hope I explained that right.

RagDyeR

return value from Column B if above this row

Copy Column A to Column B.
Then select the data in Column B, down to the same row number that has the
last color, then:

Hit <F5
Click on "Special"
Click on "Blanks"
Then <OK

Type the equal (= ) sign
Hit the UP ARROW
Hold down <Ctrl, and hit <Enter

--
HTH,

RD

"CathyH" wrote in message
[...]

Gary''s Student

return value from Column B if above this row

In B1 enter:
=A1 this will pickup the first customer name
In B2 enter:
=IF(A2="",B1,A2) and copy down
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200721

CathyH

return value from Column B if above this row

This works for the most part except that I have blank rows (these change
every time I generate the spreadsheet) so it's not returning the value for
every cell that has a colour.

Any other ideas?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

In B1 enter:
=A1 this will pickup the first customer name
In B2 enter:
=IF(A2="",B1,A2) and copy down
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200721

CathyH

return value from Column B if above this row

This worked for me, however, I need to make the spreadsheet so the user will
not have to do any copy/paste. I needs to return the value automatically or
there is too much chance for error.

I'm learning a lot today - thanks!