-   -   Finding the location of MAX value in column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/142394-finding-location-max-value-column.html)

milly

Finding the location of MAX value in column

I know this is a very simple question but I have found the MAX value in a
column using the usual formuls, the only problem is I don't know it's
location and I need to relate back to another value on the same row. The
column contains nearly 3000 readings so I don't fancy trawling through them
all tring to find it!
Can anyone please help asap
Thanks a million

Billy Liddel

Finding the location of MAX value in column

Hi Milly

If you know the column this will do

=ADDRESS(MATCH(MAX(A1:A15),A1:A15),1)

It find the max in column A. If you wanted to find the max in column C then
change the ",1)" in the formula to ",C) and change the range to suit.

Regards
Peter
"milly" wrote:

I know this is a very simple question but I have found the MAX value in a
column using the usual formuls, the only problem is I don't know it's
location and I need to relate back to another value on the same row. The
column contains nearly 3000 readings so I don't fancy trawling through them
all tring to find it!
Can anyone please help asap
Thanks a million

Roger Govier

Finding the location of MAX value in column

Hi Milly

Try
=ADDRESS(MATCH(MAX(A:A),A:A,0),COLUMN(A1))
would return $A$10 for example
If you copy across, then A:A would change to B:B and COLUMN(B1) and so
on.
In other words, you need to alter both parameters depending upon which
column you are searching.

Add a ,4 at the end if you wish to change the formula from Absolute to
relative

=ADDRESS(MATCH(MAX(A:A),A:A,0),COLUMN(A1),4)

--
Regards

Roger Govier